Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Minolta XTsi & Plus-X 125





In my efforts to keep silver halide photography alive, I have been both encouraging and supportive of my two daughters shooting film. They have watched me develop film and make traditional wet prints for the past few years, and are fascinated by the processes. Both have learned to develop B&W film while I do nothing more than supervise. This has been very good for them as they have a real heartfelt desire to shoot film as a result of their seeing and learning.






Of course they need to have their own cameras to feel that sense of pride and ownership in their work. This nice 35mm Minolta now belongs to my 11 year old daughter. I bought this one brand new in 1996, and have really enjoyed owning it. It has several automatic exposure modes, but also has a full manual override mode, as well as auto or manual focus.






On our recent photo outing, my youngest daughter took this camera with her. Here are two photographs that she took and I really like them. With one at age 11, and the other at 17, they can go about their composures independent of my watching over them. Occasionally they will consult with dad about this or that, but for the most part they go about their work separate from my efforts. Of course I am partial to their work as their parent, but I was impressed with these two based on the compositions. They show me that she has been listening to my instructions and not just being a machine-gun-mad-clicker-of-the-shutter type photographer who is left with nothing but empty hopes something will work out in the end. The barn photograph is off in its exposure -trusting the onboard meter will do that- but the composition I really liked. The photograph of the corn stalks and cobs is to me very nice. This one may just be her first solo wet print.

No comments:

Post a Comment